Wednesday, January 16, 2013

The Sunset of the patriarch

The only two business groups that have always mattered are the Tatas and the Birlas
 
It took two months of persistent calls and faxes by Chandrasekhar Bhattacharjee before the patriarch B. K. Birla finally agreed to meet him & Sutanu Guru at 11 AM on September 2, 2009. Wary of notorious jams and rallies in Kolkatta, we reached his office at 10.30 AM. By 10.35 AM, we were inside his private office and talking to him. Age is catching up no doubt; but B. K. Birla is enjoying the sunset of his glittering career & eventful life.

B&E: You will be turning 90 in the near future. What makes you still come to office everyday? And what’s your daily routine?

BK:
What else will I do? I have worked all my life. If I stay back at home, I will only end up arguing and fighting with my wife (Smiles). I wake up before dawn and walk. By 9 AM, I am in the office and nowadays I go back home at about 3 in the afternoon. Till recently, I used to be in office till at least 6 in the evening. But now, we have dinner by 7 PM.

B&E: After such a long and distinguished career, do you think you still face any challenge?

BK:
Oh yes. Life is always a challenge. For me, a big challenge right now is to increase the promoter’s share of equity in all our group companies to a comfortable level.

B&E: Comfortable?

BK:
Yes, I think our family must hold between 40% to 50% stake in all its group companies. In most cases, like Century, Kesoram and Jayshree Tea, I have already achieved my targets. What worries me at the moment is our low stake in Mangalam Timber and Mangalam Cement (the Birla family at present controls about 32% and 28% stake in Mangalam Timber and Mangalam Cement respectively). I have already initiated steps to raise our equity in these companies above 40%.


Source : IIPM Editorial, 2012.
An Initiative of IIPMMalay Chaudhuri
and Arindam Chaudhuri (Renowned Management Guru and Economist).

For More IIPM Info, Visit below mentioned IIPM articles.

2012 : DNA National B-School Survey 2012
Ranked 1st in International Exposure (ahead of all the IIMs)
Ranked 6th Overall

Zee Business Best B-School Survey 2012
Prof. Arindam Chaudhuri’s Session at IMA Indore
IIPM IN FINANCIAL TIMES, UK. FEATURE OF THE WEEK
IIPM strong hold on Placement : 10000 Students Placed in last 5 year
IIPM’s Management Consulting Arm-Planman Consulting
Professor Arindam Chaudhuri – A Man For The Society….
IIPM: Indian Institute of Planning and Management
IIPM makes business education truly global
Management Guru Arindam Chaudhuri
Rajita Chaudhuri-The New Age Woman
IIPM B-School Facebook Page
IIPM Global Exposure
IIPM Best B School India
IIPM B-School Detail

IIPM Links
IIPM : The B-School with a Human Face
IIPM – FLP (Flexi Learning Program)